This post is sponsored by Tarkett; however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
I finally convinced my husband that it was time for me to have an office in the house…the problem was there was no room. But he was just as sick of my work stuff scattered all over so it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be to convince him. With the issue we had and the lack of space, we both agreed that we’d redo a small shed that we had in the yard from back when his grandfather used it as a chicken coop. It was FILLED with old furniture, shelves of crap, and a dumpster full of trash that we had to remove. Once it was cleaned out it was easier for me to envision the space that I wanted. This process was and will take some time with everything needed to do (flooring, walls, electrical, decorating) so I thought I’d break it up into four blog segments of each part. The first thing we did in the shed was the flooring. It was super easy and I wanted to show you how quickly and easily a space can be changed!
Once the coop was cleaned out, we took a broom and leaf blower and swept blew out the entire inside. Before the flooring was on I wanted to make sure that there was as little dust, dirt, leaves, and debris on the floor as possible so the flooring would stick and stay.
If you’re looking for quick, EASY, and beautiful flooring to transform your space, then Tarkett Flooring is for you! We chose to use the Tarkett Transcend SureSet in Villa Oak Moorland and it was even more beautiful than I imagined! It came in planks with adhesive already attached to the bottom. How much easier could it get?! Now through the end of December, you can save BIG on this flooring with the use of a $250 rebate, just visit Tarkett’s site, download and fill out the rebate form to take advantage of the offer.
Since we were working with an old shed with a concrete floor, an underlayment or primer was suggested to us. With it being such an old space that we were working with, we thought that the primer would work better than the underlayment over concrete. We ran to Home Depot, bought this adhesive primer and rolled it on. (Thanks to my husbands genius mind for rigging up this roller, the time it took us to do this was very minimal).
After waiting a couple hours we were off to work with laying the flooring. The easy peel and stick design of the vinyl flooring planks was that they were quick to lay down. We used a 3, 2, 1 pattern for the flooring where we laid the first row right at the top of the floor corner. The next row we started one foot lower than the first, and the third row we started 2 feet down from the first, starting the fourth at the top again.
Each row needed the ends cut to finish the row, and fortunately the planks were easy to trim with a utility knife and square to cut the straight edge.
Through the process I wanted to make sure that the planks really stuck to the concrete so the kids would really rub each plank down afterwards to get the adhesive warmed up and stuck. This worked quite well and the next day we checked and all of the pieces held together perfectly.
We were so thrilled with this floor and it really got me excited about my new little space! Step one from turning a chicken coop into an office was complete! Next up, electrical and shiplap!